Scars left behind from acne can affect your confidence. However, there are many advances in skin treatments meaning you don’t no longer have to live with it. It’s time for you to take charge again and get rid of that scar, letting go of the stories that may be holding you back in life.
If you have any questions about Acne Scarring or would like to come in for a consultation to discuss suitability, please contact our very friendly team on 0207 127 8108 or email info@DrTerry.com
If you would like to find out more or book a consultation with us, please call 0207 127 8108, email email@example.com or complete an online enquiry form.
All treatments require initial consultation to asses suitability. There is an initial consultation fee which is non-refundable.
What is Acne Scarring?
There are different types of scars as everybody heals differently. Different parts of the body scar differently too. It is important to identify what type of scar you have as it will affect the effectiveness of a treatment and the results you get. Most commonly scars are seen after acne, inflammation and surgery:
- Macular scarring – this type of acne scarring is characterised by flat areas of increased and decreased pigmentation as a result of acne. Although there are not any indentations in the skin or raised scars, this is considered as a scar by many patients who have this problem.
- Superficial scars – these acne scars have sharp edges and are often round or oval shaped when seen from above.
- Deep scars – appear as undulations in the skin and involve loss of subcutaneous tissue volume and some tethering of the skin to underlying structures. Some call these box scars.
- Ice-pick scars – deep small holes in the skin.
- Hypertrophic scars - This is a raised and often pigmented scar.
- Keloid scars - the size of the scar is significantly raised, and disproportionate to the size of the initial trauma caused by the acne. This is caused by an over-stimulation of collagen during the repair phase.
Most scars will require several sessions of treatment as more healthy tissue are encouraged to replace the fibrous tissue. Treatments e.g. microneedling, subcision, chemical peels, PRP and Mesotherapy are only as effective as the home skin care program aimed to resurface and renew the skin. We also recommend our 18-week skin conditioning program to re-educate and recondition your skin.
Some scars e.g. Hypertrophic or Keloid scars may involve steroid injection or surgery if required.
Feel confident in your skin again without needing to hide behind thick makeup and feel proud touching your skin again.